I’ve been slacking on the blog lately. And that’s because we’ve had a few life changes:
- We’re having a baby! We couldn’t be more excited for our baby boy’s arrival in 2020.
- We’ve moved back home to Michigan! While we will always love DC (and having three different airports to choose from), we wanted to be closer to family, especially as we raise a family of our own.
It’s been a whirlwind year of new jobs, new houses, and new routines, so I put the blog on a short hiatus. But now that the dust has settled, I’m ready to pick up where I left off.
While I haven’t been writing as much, we’ve still been accumulating and spending credit card points. Seeing as we were expecting a baby and between jobs, we took advantage of the opportunity to take a babymoon to Portugal in October. We also booked a few more trips with our Southwest Companion Pass before it is set expire on December 31. We fully recognize that how we travel is going to change dramatically soon, so we’ve been trying to make the most of traveling as a couple before we need to take a child’s needs into account. Whenever I pass those young parents checking four bag of kids’ stuff at the ticket counter, I’ve always been thankful that I can get by with just a carry-on. Those days are coming to end!
One thing we will continue to prioritize despite the relocation? Traveling, especially as a family. That probably means no more around-the-world itineraries with one night stopovers in Dubai and Sri Lanka. And it will be a bit more challenging to redeem credit card points in Grand Rapids, Michigan compared to a major hub/international gateway like Washington, DC. But at least we’ll now have grandparents nearby in case we want to head back to the Maldives for an anniversary trip. Not that it’s crossed my mind…
So where do I go from here?
- I’m almost under Chase’s 5/24 rule. Which is kinda like Christmas morning for someone playing the credit card points game. I’ll plan on documenting my strategy as I apply for new cards. Spoiler alert: I’m hoping for another two years with the Southwest Companion Pass.
- Did you know kids under two years old can travel as “lap infants?” You can even redeem credit card points to cover the cost of those “lap infants.” Even in business class. I’ll figure out what the best credit card points and frequent flyer programs are for us to use as new parents with a lap infant.
- This is totally overdue, but I still have to post my review from last November’s flight in Singapore Airlines first class. We also flew in Lufthansa business class for our babymoon to Portugal, where we were introduced to the buzzkill that is intra-Europe business class. So I’ll also plan to post that recap as well.
- Lastly… the credit card points game has changed! There are new rules and new cards, so I’ll highlight some of what I see as the major developments and try to clean up some of the out-dated information on parts of the website.
Now that my blog vacation is over, I’m looking forward to getting back to work.